I began knitting a sweater—my first sweater—at the beginning of April. (Links to the pattern and my yarn choice here.) And finals and graduation and grad school decisions intervened and I got sidetracked.
So this week (after a friend asked how the sweater was going and I had to say “um, I don’t actually remember where I was when I stopped”) I went back to it. And I’m happy to report that it’s going quite well.
My most recent challenges have been figuring out how to move the stitches that will be the sleeves onto waste yarn and how to cast on stitches (those four at the bottom of the armhole in the picture to the right) using the backwards loop method. Neither task was particularly difficult—so far the knowledge required for this sweater only just slightly exceeds what I already know, making it the perfect next-step in my learning process.
Truthfully, I’m a bit bored with the stockingette stitch—and I have six more inches of it to go in the body of the sweater—but I’m afraid something lacy or cabled might have made this a bit too complicated for a first attempt. My next sweater, however, will be lacy!
I like the way the colors are coming together. It’s much more distinctly striped than I thought it would be, but I think it works. I’ll be wearing this non-stop during the fall with jeans and tall boots, bag slung across my shoulder and coffee mug sloshing as I rush to class.