My boyfriend was in charge of the Christmas desert this year, and the English trifle he made was so good that I had to share. I think this is going to become part of our Christmas tradition, but it’d be great for a New Year’s party as well: it’s gorgeous (all that fruit!), it feels somewhat healthy (all that fruit!) and it’d go so well with champagne (again, all that fruit!)
(This desert is usually made and served in a glass bowl—the layers of fruit are gorgeous—but we don’t have one, and my big blue mixing bowl worked just as well. But use glass if you have it—it’ll be prettier.)
- 2 (8 or 9 inch) white cake layers, baked and cooled
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 12 maraschino cherries
And here’s what you do:
- First, prep the ingredients: slice strawberries and sprinkle them with sugar. Cut the bananas into slices and toss with orange juice. Combine pudding mix with milk and mix until smooth. Cut the cake into 1 inch cubes.
- Then make your layers: use half of the cake cubes to line the bottom of a large glass bowl. Layer half of the strawberries followed by half of the blueberries, and then half of the bananas. Spread half of the pudding over the fruit. Repeat layers in the same order.
- Then to top it all off: in another bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks and spread over top of trifle. Garnish with maraschino cherries and slivered almonds.