My boyfriend is here, on a short break from law school. And while he proclaims himself perfectly happy with leftovers of the pot-roast last night for breakfast (and would be more likely to pitch in and help than complain, if he weren’t) sometimes breakfast should just be a little fancier than warmed-over pot-roast. Enter House-guest Brunch: it goes together in a few minutes and you’ll be back to your guests in just a few minutes.
Here’s what you need:
- 2-3 eggs per person
- 1/3 lb ground sausage
- 1/2 onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small potato per person
- 1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper or roasted sweet bell pepper strips (I’m using the latter, since it’s in my fridge
- 1/4 cup cheese: I’m using parmesan, but shredded cheddar, chunked feta or even strips of Swiss would work.
- salt, pepper, dill…whatever your favorite spices are.
Here’s what you do:
- Scrub potatoes, pierce skins, microwave them for about 5 minutes each
- While the potatoes are baking, cook ground sausage and chopped onion over medium-high heat in large-ish skillet, till sausage is no longer pink.
- Add chopped bell pepper or roasted sweet bell pepper strips to skillet
- When the potatoes are done, chop into 1 inch squares and add potatoes to the skillet.
- Lightly beat eggs in another bowl and slowly pour into skillet
- Sprinkle cheese on top of skillet, add whatever spices you’d like to use
- Brunch is done when the eggs have set.
(I had a few scraps of bacon in the fridge, so I threw them in at the last minute.)
And voila! Breakfast, brunch or whatever you’re calling it, is served!