Cooking–well, any type of housework, really–is one of my most insidious forms of procrastination. I need to eat while I’m trudging the theory trenches and I’ll likely focus better if my kitchen isn’t a mess… and yet, I can subsist just as easily, for this short period of time left in the semester, on crackers and ramen and Diet Coke, and the kitchen sink isn’t going to collapse if there are a few dishes in there… it’d be much better to just get the work done. Alas, that’s not how my mind works.
And so, without further ado, Orange Pecan Waffles!
First off– marshal those forces again.
- 1 cup of orange juice
- pancake mix
- 1/3-1/2 cup of pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup of oil (whatever type- I used vegetable, ’cause I’m classy)
- ground Valencia orange peel (totally optional- I have some that I rarely use, so anything citrus-y gets a pinch)
- powdered sugar and syrup (or whatever you prefer) for the top
- coffee. Because really, are you going to make waffles without coffee? for shame!
So easy you almost don’t need a recipe. But just in case–
- (Plug in/turn on waffle maker- those things have to pre-heat and it’s a pain to wait on it when you’re done preparing the mix)
- Basically, you are just going to follow the mix instructions, subbing in orange juice for a portion of the water. The instructions on the package I used (Great Value) directed me to add 1 1/3 cups of water and 1/3 cup of oil to 2 cups of mix. Instead I added 1/3 cup of water, 1/3 cup of oil, and 1 cup of orange juice.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans into hot, greased waffle maker
- Pour mix in
- Straighten up the kitchen while it cooks.
Orange pecan waffles: slightly crunchy, slightly tart, and holy-mother-of-god delicious.
And now, back to that post-colonial feminism in the Heart of Darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror!